School History

Located at 2730 Cheyenne in northwest Irving, the school opened in 1969. It was named after William Trapper Hanes who served as IISD superintendent from 1956-1969. Mr. Hanes accepted the position in 1956, a year after the teacher strike in the spring of 1955. The Texas Education Agency had placed the district’s accreditation on probation. Accreditation was restored in 1957 and the school district experienced a phenomenal growth in the mid 1950’s through the 1960’s. During Mr. Hanes' tenure the school district built seven new elementary schools, one new junior high school, three new high school buildings, and a new school administration building along with some additions to existing buildings.