Otis Brown Elementary opened in September, 1955. It was called Southwest Ward Elementary when it opened. All the elementary schools had similar directional names at the time. In 1958, the IISD renamed the elementary schools after notable Irvingites. Otis Brown Elementary is named after one of the city of Irving's co-founders. Otis Brown and J.O. Schulze founded the town of Irving in 1903.